Tuesday, February 15, 2011

white chicken chili recipe

I was in a store and I picked up this magazine essential slow cooker by Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publications, April 5, 2011.

I picked it up because the cover had a bowl of tender pork & green chile stew on it, and the recipes inside looked delicious. Secondly I haven't had much time to cook as much or as well. I had a thought that if I used the crockpot more often then I wouldn't have to race to get dinner prepared when I have so many other things to do. But of course there is the balance of creating delicious yet calorie, fat, and nutrititionally balanced meals that work for my husband's upcoming competition and mine.

I have created 3 recipes (2 of which I have eaten). The 3rd Recipe was a Triple Berry Cobbler for the children.

Here is the White Chicken Chili Recipe:

For the cooked chicken poach 3-4 skinned and boned chicken breast halves in boiling water or chicken broth, covered, for about 12 minutes or until no pink remains. Drain, cool the chicken slightly, then chop.
(I cooked mine in chicken broth using chicken bouillon cubes).

In 3 1/2 or 4 qt. slow cooker, combine drained (3) 15 oz. cans of white kidney beans, rinsed and drained first +2 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken + 1 1/2 cups chopped red, green, and or yellow sweet peppers (2 medium ones) + 1 cup chopped onion (1 large) + 2 fresh Jalepeno chili peppers, 2 teaspooons cumin + 2 cloves garlic minced + 1/2 teaspoon salt + 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano. Pour  3 1/2 cups of the chicken broth (I used to boil the chicken in) over mixture in cooker .

Next, cover and cook on low heat setting for 8-10 hours or higng setting for 4-5 hours. I started my cooker at 9am and it was ready for dinner the same day.

Last, After you serve it I topped it with a few fritos for the kids. Fritos actually only have 3 ingredients in them compared to other types of chips/crackers. Yes, they are still higher in fat, but it works for the kids.
Also, for the children, I put some nondairy sour cream (from Trader Joe's) to reduce the spicy hot flavor that the Jalepenos give to the dish. The kids liked it.

The recipe states that you can top the dish off with shredded Monterey Jack Cheese & broken tortilla chips. I opted out of the cheese. The four of us ate this meal for two days.

Tonight we had Cider Pork Stew (7 grams of fat per serving). Tomorrow we'll have the same meal.

Then I'll make the Better than Mom's chicken and noodels for Thursday evening. This meal has 7 grams of fat per serving as well.  This weekend I'll make the apple pie bread pudding in the crockpot for the children's dessert. I'll exchange the 1/2 and 1/2 for fat free 1/2 and 1/2, and replace the ice cream for Golden Spoon Vanilla Frozen Yogurt.

Enjoy the recipe I wrote. Let me know if you try it. FYI: If you are in the area Sultan's Market on El Toro Road is a fabulous place for inexpensive produce! I try to get all my produce there because of the great prices.

RsmKettleGirl@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment