Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Getting Fit with Kettlebells

Like I promised, I wanted to let you know how I got started using kettlebells. Last year a friend of mine told me about how much kettlebells had dramatically changed her core strength and appearance. She is a runner by nature, but uses the kettlebell for strength training. Her arms were beautiful and so was the rest of her body.

In January 2010 I told myself that I would try the kettlebell class that Paul Daniels teaches in Rancho Santa Margarita, California. I didn't do it. Instead I went to his cardio kickboxing classes once in a while, when I needed a break from my cardio running days during the week. By nature I lift weights. I love lifting weights and feel at home with weight machines, barbell and dumbbells.

I had been thinking about entering some type of fitness contest this year, but hadn't committed fully to it. In the meantime I was training with weights & running. Then, this summer I went back to Paul Daniel's cardio kickboxing class for a change of pace & he and I talked after class.

He told me, "you know you really should be using the kettlebell if you really want to change your physique."
As the discussion continued I decided to take a leap into the kettlebell world, but not completely ditch my weight training.

When I started working out 3 days a week using the kettlebell, I realized that I don't need the weight training as much as I thought. The kettlebell training was quite enough for my "lifting days."

...except for last Sunday when I snuck in a mini leg workout with machines and weights! It's hard to break some habits.

Tomorrow, I'll talk about how I really feel when I work out at 830 at night after spending a day taking care of two children and a husband, making all the meals for everybody, cleaning, etc. and somehow finding the time to reach my fitness goal.

RSMKettleGirl
Blog Address: http://bikinicompetitor.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment