Sunday, May 8, 2011

Meal Choices away from the House

Saturday and Sunday the children and I were away from the house. We were staying in a hotel in Ventura and meals I ate were from cooler I packed or carefully chosen when I ate out.

I think this is an area of great difficulty for most of us. I know that even though my husband has competed 5 times in body building competitions, it is virtually impossible for him to agree to leave the house during those months of training and eating clean. Of course that makes it difficult to do things as a family when he is so rigid. As an example, my friend was having an Anniversary and my husband didn't want to go because he was in "training mode." I would have gone without him, but that particular weekend was also his birthday.

On the other hand, maybe because I'm the primary caretaker of the children, I will go on short vacations even during a time when I am training for a competition. It's not easy, but I do it because I have to or because being flexible is important.

Either way, I was able to have an overnight stay elsewhere, and I ate white meat chicken strips an a pear for dinner. I would normally have eaten vegetables instead, but it was what it was. For breakfast this morning, I had scrambled egg whites (mostly) and 1/2 cup of oatmeal for breakfast. The eggs were prepared with a little too much oil, but it wouldn't be detrimental, because I would make sure I off set that fat/calories, by reducing somewhere else in the day. Plus it was the morning meal, so the fat would be okay. Snack was some white chicken meat &  a pear again, then lunch was a protein bar, and at snack time I was home and had 1 brown rice cake, 1 TBSP of peanut butter and a few slivers of white chicken meat.

While what I ate wasn't ideal, it did work, and the calories were kept in check.


As far as workouts, flexibility is equally important. Friday I worked out at home,  and then Saturday morning when the girls were both in classes I worked out at home. I ran on the treadmill 30 minutes, then did some leg exercises. The girls and I left Orange County at 3:30pm to travel. I had already worked out, so it wasn't necessary to workout that evening. All I had to do is focus on my food intake.
Sunday afternoon we were coming home, so I was planning on working out this evening after the girls went to bed. I did. I ran 30 minutes, did 4 sets of lunges and called it quits.

No, it wasn't easy. The last thing most of us want to do when we come home from vacation is workout, but it's just not an option when you want to achieve a goal. I kind of have to look at it as just a matter of fact and not be so ridiculous about taking less than 1 hour away from my nighttime "me time" and do something I may not be INTO. One hour went by quickly, and I felt better than if I hadn't done it.

Anyway, that's it for tonight. I just wanted to share some thoughts about being flexible while staying committed to the goal.

I am at 3 weeks now. I have my moments of weak thinking, but mostly I just bypass those thoughts with a cup of tea.

RsmKettlegirl@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment