Thursday, May 19, 2011

Locked In

There comes a point when your nutrition and exercise is right on track and regardless of pessimistic or self defeating thoughts you just don't do anything to compromise the successful track record experienced so far. I don't know if you've ever been totally locked into your program, and then you just decide for one reason or another that you just will give up on reaching that goal. There's just a feeling that you want to go back to some familiar place that seems like it will be more comfortable, but in reality it can be a miserable place.

I faintly remember a time when I actually worked hard at sabotaging my success. I mean I actually went out of my way to get back to a place that was more familiar instead of continuing the enjoyment I was currently experiencing. I must have thought that at some point all the new experiences, even if wonderful from various angles, would have to find their way back to the beginning. So, I could tell myself "I told you so!"

I don't know how long ago that I had that experience, but it was very long ago. Nowadays I like the feeling of being locked into a goal. It's a strange and motivating experience to know that I am trying to achieve a a particular goal, knowing that I can reach it, but knowing at the same time that 3 months to stay motivated, focused, and disciplined is hard.

Sometimes having the goal, and having already achieved some satisfaction within a short period of time, motivates me to continue the process. Feelings and thoughts are fleeting, so I never have to worry too much about getting too worried, frustrated, or down. Everything changes in time.

I think a person must get used to change and embrace the unknown and look forward to new experiences. I also realize that change has been occurring in all areas of my life for quite some time, and I've had to embrace the challenges, find ways to enjoy new discoveries, and figure out how to do the best with what I have. Instead of pining for things to stay the same,  which I believe some people do too much of, it would be better to figure out a way to be joyful with what is happening to you.

I have a friend who has been in the midst of crisis. The person's whole world was turned upside down and publicized. However, as we have spoken on numerous occasions, this person would agree that life is better now than it ever was. Who would have thought? It's not that the rebuilding of one's life, one's reputation, is an easy task at hand, but the clarity that came from such enormous events has had profound positive effects that could have only come from a crisis like the one experienced.

Regardless of where one is at it is ALWAYS possible to lock in to a goal, stay focused, and ride the waves until the end. The things one learns is much more powerful than giving into self sabotaging, negative thoughts.

RsmKettleGirl@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment