Friday, June 24, 2011

THE 4 DONT'S

NUMBER 1: Don't eat fat before a workout
NUMBER 2: Don't eat fat after a workout.
NUMBER 3: Don't give yourself excuses not to workout.
NUMBER 4: Don't let feelings sabotage your goal.

Tonight was a lesson learned. I didn't eat enough fat or enough calories today, so I was hungry tonight after our nightly constitution. I had two tablespoons of peanut butter and 2 oz of chicken. What a big mistake. Certainly I could have done without the extra fat calories, even though I'm glad that the fat I ate was a good fat. Wow! did it effect my kettlebell workout tonight. I seriously didn't want to workout, and then the peanut butter was rolling around in my stomach while I was swinging the kettlebell. I was NOT comfortable at all. It was a struggle getting through the hour.

I have read that it is not good to eat fat before or after a workout, because it effects the body's ability to lose fat. While good fats are absolutely necessary and good for the body and for losing weight, they are not supposed to be good to eat pre and post workout. I am usually very careful about this. Anyway, I paid the price. Not only was my body not happy with me, but I was very busy in my head trying to make a good enough excuse why I shouldn't workout.

I started thinking that I'll never get in as good of shape as I did for the last competition. Then, I started to think that I'm going to be one year older from the last competition, and since I'm already 43 I can't possibly go onstage at that age. I'm really good at making excellent excuses, but I decided that my feelings weren't going to rule my actions. About 3/4 of the way through the workout I got energized and excited again. I was no longer feeling low and defeated. Since my mood changed so much, I decided to add 3 sets of hamstring curls and 3 sets of donkey calf raises to the end of my workout.

Also, after talking with Paul Daniels from www.thebodywarehouse.com  today, I decided that I'll go online and decide the exact deadline of the competition I want to enter. As he says, at least I will have a more definitive end point. I think that it will help on days like this when I all of a sudden felt defeated.

Eats Today:
830am: same smoothie
11am: pear and hardboiled egg
130pm: 3-4 oz chicken, salsa, 1/2 sweet potato
315pm: 1 Promax bar
6pm: 4 oz grilled chicken with seasoning and root vegetables
7:30pm: 2 Tbs peanut butter & 2 oz of chicken

Workout Today:
50 minutes Kettlebell workout consisting of the following sets:
4 sets of 25 double arm swings.
4 sets of the following combination: 10 alternating swings, 10 alternating clean and presses, 10 kettlebell swings, 5 high pulls each side, 10 kettlebells swings, 10 kettlebell squats, 10 bent over rows each side.
4 sets of the following combination: 10 kettlebell swings with 2 kettlebells, then 5 double kettlebell cleans,
40 lunges without the kettlebell (20 each side), 5 bicep curls, 5 overhead tricep extensions.
3 sets of hamstring curls on our machine and 3 sets of donkey calf raises, no extra weight on the machine.

I will post my deadline tomorrow. Until then,
Sleep well,
Eat well,
Work hard,
Play hard.


...as my 6 year old daughter reminds me, "...things done in halves are never done well."

No comments:

Post a Comment