Tuesday, January 29, 2013

COMPARE PROTEIN BARS

OK. 
I'm going to try to do my best comparing what I think are the most important factors in protein bars -taste and composition.


I have tried many bars on the market and wasted lots of money trying to find a good one or two that I would enjoy eating every so often or daily...depending on my mood. 

The taste of a bar is most important to me. I want to know that the calories are worth eating, so taste in premium.

I love Promax bars. You can find them at Costco, Ralphs, Trader Joe's, and many more places. Although you will not find them at Target. I've tasted all of them and truly all of them are good enough or the best bars ever. However, that being said, I'm not as much a fan for their newest low sugar version. My husband eats this version, but then, his tastes aren't as discriminating as mine.
I could make him fish for dinner, and he'll think it's chicken. That's a whole other subject (LOL)

I like most of these flavors, but my favorite is the cookie dough:
A taste test study was conducted and Promax was the leader in taste -above Optimum Nutrition Protein Diet Bars, Pure Protein, Bionutritional Power Crunch, Zero Impact bar by VPX, MetRx, and Myoplex.

As far as cost per gram of protein, Promax was not listed, but it does contain a high and comparable amount of protein to the bars that were leaders in cost per gram of protein. Those bars were MetRx, Myoplex Deluxe, Methoxy-Pro & Pure Protein.

I will say that I've tried and like Pure Protein as well. 

You can buy Pure Protein at the same stores as one can find Promax, but Pure Protein is also at Target, and pretty much any place. The bars are smaller, so I don't feel like I get to eat as much as if I went with a Promax bar. Also, I tend to like the taste of the Promax bar more. Pure Protein does taste more like a candy bar, but that's not really the taste I'm after. Promax has a calming effect on me, and the Pure Protein makes me want to have more. 

Here are some pictures of the other brands:
Actually, I hate the taste of MetRx. There must be many people who don't, since it sells well, but it's not my cup of tea.

I've seen this bar at Natural or Whole food markets. I haven't tried, it. Packaging doesn't grab me:)
This is the Promax bar that is low in sugar. It's okay, but I like knowing there is sugar in my bar...so I'm probably biased because I think I'm getting away with more if I eat the regular Promax.

I hope this information has helped. This training competition I have only had bars on my Tahoe trip to compensate for the fact that I wanted to stay quite strict on my nutrition program. 

Two years ago, during my nutrition training for the first competition, I ate one and sometimes 2 bars a day. I've wanted to eat cleaner, and wasn't drawn to the bars as much this time around. 

I'm more into a tablespoon of peanut butter or roasted honey peanut butter from Whole Foods Market. So Yummy.

RsmKettleGirl@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment