Thursday, January 17, 2013

GETTING UNPLUGGED

Okay,
This is the month of getting unplugged. Getting unplugged simply means anything you are willing to do to help you unplug from the rat race of life. 

If it means turning off the television, not shopping for clothes, not going to fast food restaurants, or wasting gas in the car driving to too many places when you could have consolidated trips, then do it. 

I have chosen to unplug by not buying extra things that I don't really really need. I think that I have a house full of "stuff" and I'm a little tired of "stuff" these days. I feel like a slave to all my things when I have too much, so I decided that unplugging from this part of my weekly routine would be cleansing. Yesterday, I went to Target to buy airborne chewable tablets...the newest and greatest addition to the Airborne family of products. I bought one Kleenex box as well. I resisted buying anything else. It was easy only because I was conscientious.

Secondly, I've decided to be more diligent about using all the food in my refrigerator before it goes bad. I hate that sometimes I have food in the refrigerator that I intended to use and then have to discard it later because I opted to reroute the evening menu. 

I don't watch television (but on rare occasion) and I watch few movies that I don't really need to unplug from this area. 

Third, I've decided to not get pissed at the kids for something that rubbed me the wrong way. There's simply no point getting angry, because it doesn't do any good. When I get angry, I'm angry, and they just look at me thinking I'm crazy:) It's pretty hilarious, because the right way to deal with a frustrating situation is to either ignore them, redirect them, help them come up with alternatives, or discipline appropriately. 

So, if there's a way to "GET UNPLUGGED" 
There is also a way to "PLUG IN"

My choices to get plugged in have been to knit, read, listen more carefully, and focus on the gorgeous light coming through the window sprawling over the bedroom duvet, and the crisp clarity of the sky meeting the tops of the coastal range, and the warmth of the water dripping down my face in the shower. For these moments, which are fleeting, I will thoroughly enjoy the amazing
life we are so lucky to have. 

My friend is the one who came up with the great idea of doing a word of the month. 

If you'd like some ways to unplug or get plugged into being more creative, quiet, or excited about projects, check out her blog:

http://shiftctrlart.com/BlogPost/uj33

Foods yesterday:
banana, protein powder, peanut butter
sweet potato
bell peppers
asparagus
hardboiled eggs
rice cakes
BBQ chicken
chicken cold cuts
yogurt


Workout Today:
1/2 hour run (at 4.5 speed)
dumbbell chest presses
pull down lats
seated rows
pushups

1 comment:

  1. I really love this post. I am in the same kind of headspace. I also don't really watch TV, but interesting things seem to find their way into the Target shopping basket. I too feel overcome with "stuff." I also succumb to the frustration with the kids over minor things. I just need to let that go... because, you're right. It's not like my anger helps anything! I also need to spend more time away from the computer. I use it so much for day-to-day management of life... but there are times when I don't need to be on it. Thanks for a great perspective today! Alesha

    ReplyDelete