Sunday, January 20, 2013

MEXICAN MEATBALL SOUP RECIPE & A LIttle Emotional Talk...

This dinner is really good and is low fat. It's hardy, tasty, comforting, and for the whole family. I will be upfront with you; I have had two servings of this meal on two different occassions, but of course I modified the meal. I take one meatball out and add it with a whole bunch of cooked spinach, so that way I am not eating the rice inside the soup. But if you are simply being more diligent at reducing fat and increasing the quality of your current foods, then this is a great addition to your recipe box.

Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 2/4 cups chopped onions ( I use yellow)
4 garlic cloves minced
2 small bay leaves
5 14 1/2 oz cans beef broth ( I used bouillon cubes)
1 28oz can diced tomatoes with juice
1/2 cup chunky tomato salsa 
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 lb lean ground beef (I used lean ground turkey)
1/4 lb bulk pork sausage ( I didn't use any)
6 Tablespoons yellow cornmeal ( I have used this, but I used Italian breadcrumbs)
1/4 cup fat free milk
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup long grain white rice


Heat oil in large pot medium high heat. Add 1 3/4 cup chopped onions and 2 garlic cloves and bay leaves. Saute 5 minutes. Add broth. Add tomatoes with juices, and salsa and 1/4 cup cilantro. Bring to boil. cover and simmer 15 minutes.


chop the cilantro 

Meanwhile, combine ground turkey, cornmeal (or Italian breadcrumbs), fat free milk, egg, salt, pepper cumin and remaining 1 cup chopped onion, plus the 2 garlic cloves, and 1/4 cup cilantro in bowl. 


This is what is should look like (gross!:)

Shape meat mixture by generous tablespoons into 1 1/4 inch balls. Add rice and meatballs to soup and bring to boil, stirring occassionally. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until rice and meatballs are tender. Cook approximately 20 + minutes.  







End Result

Today was a day off from working out. 
Yesterday, I ran 30 minutes at 4.5 on treadmill and weight trained with kettlebell 30 minutes. With the kettlebell, I did double arm swings, single arm swings with shoulder presses, high pulls, and upright rows.

Yesterday's Foods:

Spinach
meatballs
banana, protein powder, ice, water, peanut butter smoothie
rice cakes
hardboiled eggs
pecans
asparagus
chicken

Emotional Tracking

I definitely have my ups and downs, but not with exercise or nutrition. I'm still just as motivated today as I was the first day I decided to go back into another competition. 

Although, as I speak to more and more women, most confide that it's the other stuff that triggers food temptations or elimination of exercise, and then complete abandonment of their hopes of attaining their goal. So, I'm going to try to address some of the issues that plague many people. 

How You Can Help Yourself

Feeling stuck in an emotional rut in any area of one's life would be best dealt with by changing the current environment, the perspective from which one continues to look through the lens, or the focus. How to get out of the damaging thoughts may be best dealt with by focusing on the things that make you happy. I wouldn't call food exactly something that makes one feel happy, unless one is hungry. Food should be reserved for it's intended purpose. Look at food as a means to nourish not destroy. If you are not hungry, don't destroy yourself by eating when your body doesn't need food. Instead, address the person you are upset with, or go inward and find something comforting to heal yourself. 

Do you remember the day (s) I was all pissy about not picking the right book to read? So, I changed the situation and checked out three books from which to pick up and read. It truly helped. I was so happy afterwards. I felt fluffy AND I really found two books that I really liked -I hadn't opened up the third book yet.

STOP gravitating towards things that consistently don't work for you. There are so many other ways to cope. You may not or choose not to deal with a person who is driving you bananas, but it doesn't mean that is your only source of feeling good. You can simply rely on your own power to change your circumstance, which in turn changes your thought process. 



No comments:

Post a Comment