Friday, November 30, 2012

Do You Love Music?

Yesterday I wrote about developing interests and excitement in one's life that make one less self absorbed and constantly perseverating about working out and eating right. 

Today, I want to talk about music, because music is a central part of what I love most when working out or not working out. 

It is the language of emotion and passion. It is what stirs us when we go to a movie that we love to love or love to hate. Without it, we may not get those gut wrenching chills or the flooding of tears without the score of the movie. In essence, it ignites the fire inside and causes our adrenalin to rush, and go home and have passionate clothes-ripping sex with our partner, or become angrier or more passionate about a socio-political issue. Either way, you can feel your skin ripple. 

That feeling is what I experience -but not so dramatically- when I put the headphones on during my early morning workout. I will be jogging on the treadmill at 4.1 and a song hits me just the right way and my speed and excitement for the workout will increase, reflected at 4.4 or 4.5. 

Likewise, I feel the adrenalin's momentum carry me after being on the treadmill 20 minutes. I end in 30, but sometimes I really feel like running more, because the music feels so good and my body is bursting with energy. Just so you know, I don't run over my 30 minute limit, even if I have the desire. I'm very much into pacing myself....I'm 44 1/2...

The same happens during weight training or kettlebell training. The music transposes me into another dimension, and I am simply in heaven, working much more diligent than if I did not have the music. 

While music may have nothing to do with conceptual thought or scientific reasoning, it makes me feel good and helps sustain motivation. The words express inner feelings and thoughts...and so the morning solitude becomes a time of contemplation, reflection, and calm. 

Don't underestimate the power of aids that can help bring you into that place that others cannot touch and that is truly your own. 

If a workout is simply a means to the end result of looking good...then it will cease to exist before you arrive. 

But if there can be other things that help you enjoy that place for that one hour of each day....then find those little kernels that get you there.

This picture really sucks. The lighting is bad, and the picture is fuzzy...but this is me at 6:30 in the morning on a leg extension machine. See the iPod clipped to my shirt :)  It matches my shirt!

Workout Today 

(1 hr. 20 minutes...way too long...I think it's because of the length of time it took me to get all those sets of leg exercises into the workout)

30 minute jog treadmill
4 sets hamstring curls
4 sets leg extensions
4 sets plie squats with kettlebell
4 sets Smith Machine squats

BTW: I have not been tracking each workout. I get lazy. Instead, I just alternate leg workout one day with upper body the next day. I change up the exercises as much as possible and do NOT stick to the same routine week after week. 

RsmKettleGirl@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment