Friday, December 21, 2012

Making Great Spaghetti Sauce

I don't know if I loved this spaghetti sauce because I was sorely lacking in intense flavor with my food choices while training, or it was really that great!

Either way, I'm posting it....and you can tell me how good it tasted. 

Ingredients
3 cloves crushed garlic
1/2 finely chopped yellow onion
1 package97%-98% fat free ground turkey
3 Italien chicken sausages without casings & sliced
2 14 oz. cans diced tomatoes with garlic and basil
1 6 oz can tomato paste

Preparation
put enough olive oil in a skillet ( I used a cast iron skillet) and heat on medium/high. Saute the three cloves garlic for one minute and then add the onion. Saute until the onion is translucent. Add ground turkey chopping it up with the onions and mixing it every so often to brown it. When 1/2-3/4 browned add the Italian  chicken sausage. Add all tomatoes after turkey has been browned. Stir in skillet, moving it around every so often. Set fire on low and let it simmer for 30-45 minutes. 

What I ate last night:
Last night I had 4 or 5 Tablespoons of this sauce, and a hodgepodge including one corn tortilla and 1/3 cup left over bean/grain with salsa I made a few nights ago. That was dinner.

Later that evening I went to a terrific potluck MNO (Mom's Night Out) hosted by one of my friends. I brought Scalloped Sweet Potatoes with Fontina Cheese and Thyme. I made it for the first time and couldn't taste while prepping, because of the cheese. 
Here is the MNO potluck dish before it went in the oven. I heard it was really good

Here is one picture of some of the food at the table

This picture doesn't do the variety of foods served, some were in the kitchen. 

It was a fantastic evening of conversation, laughter, and fun, even though I didn't eat anything. I did not feel deprived.  

Being around people who are supportive and love being together is the most important. I didn't want to leave the party so early (10pm) but I had to excuse myself, because I needed to wake up at 6:15am to start my workout. 

Workout this Morning:
30 minute run
4 sets of alternating lunges
4 sets of kettlebell sit ups ( first time added)
4 sets of hamstring curls as a giant set with 
4 sets leg extensions. 

I'll talk about supersets and giant sets another day. 

Foods I ate yesterday
banana, protein powder, peanut butter smoothie
vitamins
corn tortillas
hardboiled eggs
salsa
beans/grain
spaghetti sauce
brown rice cakes
(for the life of me...I was so busy in the day...I can't fully remember what I had for lunch, sorry)

What I do know is when I look at this list I'm not seeing my green vegetables that I usually try to have a few times a day. 

RsmKettleGirl@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment