Saturday, December 29, 2012

Sweet Potato Fritters with Yogurt Chive Dipping Sauce

One of the h'ordeuvres I made for Christmas dinner were these fritters. I hadn't made them before. Perhaps daring, but I was excited to create something different for our friends and family. That's the joy of cooking. 



Guests gobbled them up so quickly; I wish I had made more of them. 

Here is the recipe:
1 lb sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces ( I used one sweet potato and one yam because I ran out of sweet potatoes. They were still terrific. Tonight I made them again with only yams). 
1 egg
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
vegetable oil for deep frying
1 recipe yogurt chive dipping sauce (which is not necessary, but many of the guests like it)

1. in a large saucepan cook sweet potatoes in water until very tender.
drain well and let cool slightly
2. in a food processor combine sweet potatoes, egg, brown sugar, and butter. cover and process until smooth. In a small bowl stir together flour, bread crumbs, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to sweet potato mixture. Cover and process just until combined. 
3. in a deep large frying pan or deep fat fryer heat 1 inch oil to 350 degrees. For each fritter, drop 1 tablespoon ( but mine were 3 times larger) into hot oil. Fry a few at a time turning when browned on each side, then removing with slotted spoon and drain excess  oil on a paper towel. 

Serve warm with sauce. 

Yogurt chive dipping sauce. I made this sauce one day prior to party, in order for the flavors to blend. 

In a small bowl combine one 6 oz. carton plain low fat yogurt. I used nonfat. Add 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives. I used freeze dried. Add 1 clove of garlic, minced. Season to taste with salt and ground pepper. 

I know you must be thinking I'm weird, because I won't eat  any of these types of foods, but the joy of cooking satisfies me without having to eat any of it. The smells in the kitchen and the time to relax and cook and feed my family is what makes it all worth it for me. 

This recipe came from Holiday Recipes from Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publications, 2012. 
RsmKettleGirl@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment