Sunday, August 1, 2010

Brick Walls

I bought a book from one of my favorite local thrift shops. The name of the book is The last Lecture. I'm sure many people have heard about it. I was so excited because I paid $2.00 for a book that costs $21.95 in a retail bookstore, and I purchased the book from a store that helps fund a woman's shelter.

Back to the book: The author has cancer and is going to give his last lecture at the University where he teaches. The author's cancer metastasizes, and of course to make things worse, he will leave behind 2 young children and a wife. In chapter 16, he talks about the formidable brick wall we all face at one time or another. He states "...the brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They're there to stop the other people." At the end of the chapter he states, "brick walls are there for a reason. They give us a chance to show how badly we want something."

Of course I've been thinking about how this relates to my competition goal. While it's wonderful to have a goal, I know it won't be fulfilled if I don't eat & exercise properly. I can't be absolutely certain that I will reach the goal I have set in 3 months. However, if I don't try, then I am certain not to reach it. Plus, if I do what I think I'm supposed to do then at least I'll either be that much closer to it. or I will have achieved it. Either way I will have developed something inside myself that I had never done before. Knocking down my own brick wall is very exciting!

Just to give you an update. Tonight at 830pm I worked chest & shoulders & 1 set of abs. No cardio tonight, because tomorrow I have Kettlebell, which always kicks my butt'.

Let me know if you try the kettlebell class (www.bodywarehouse.com) or some other studio. I know you'll understand what I meant when I said it works your whole body.

Lowering the wall one brick at a time,
RSMKettleGirl

http://bikinicompetitor.blogspot.com
rsmkettlegirl@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment