Saturday, August 28, 2010

Unexpected Changes

It's a wonderful feeling when things are going well. The nutrition and exercise and goals are being met. Then suddenly something happens in life that feels like everything has been turned upside down. In the past, being thrown for a loop could throw me off track with my nutrition and exercise. This time I was shaken up quite a bit, but not thrown off track. My commitment is strong and the rewards seem to outweigh the potential losses I would incur.

Now I'll tell you what has been going on for the past 10 days. My 7 year old daughter is on a gymnastics team. This summer the gymnastics workouts take up quite a bit of time, but we haven't had school, and we've had a pretty low key summer otherwise.

School is starting September 13th and the gymnastics facility wants to increase the hours another 2.5 per week. She gets out of school at 2:35pm and is supposed to start gymnastics at 3pm. She wouldn't finish until 6:30pm. Just the thought of her coming home around 6:45pm only to have dinner, do homework, shower, read, and then fall asleep all by 8:30pm 3 days during the week was a nightmare thinking about how impossible this routine would be.

As a parent, I want to support my daughter's desire to compete,  but down deep I knew this type of schedule would not work for anyone in the house. The other thought going through my mind was that for the past year I have been looking forward to school starting, because both children would be at the same school and I would have a glorious 3 hours to myself to do whatever I wanted. Finally a break I deserved and wanted.

To make a long story short, I knew some moms who home schooled their children and at one time I thought about it. Now I have revisited this thought, did my homework, interviewed the home school program, visited the home school facility, and have been thinking and thinking and thinking.

I am now 90%+ sure that I will home school both children. I never really thought I would do something like this, but for whatever it's worth I think it's the best decision. first and foremost it is vital that my older child has some time to think, relax, and not feel so busy all the time, and the new schedule was truly not going to give this child "time" that she needed to just "be." The kicker is that she wants to be home schooled!

I thought I was going to have a peaceful two months to just focus on kettlebell, cardio, and weight training, and everything was going to be about me...now it looks like I will probably do kettlebell while the girls are doing homework in the same room.

Needless to say, life is certainly not boring!
Just when we think things are going as planned and expected, there is always something that comes up to shake and rattle the status quo. But don't let it take you off course! It won't help things anyway.

One can never say "life is boring."
(...and yes I'm scared and nervous, but that's okay)

RSMKettleGirl
http://bikinicompetitor.blogspot.com
rsmkettlegirl@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment